DScaler Forum Index DScaler
Support Forum for the DScaler project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offtopic forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DScaler Forum Index -> Forum Discussion - No DScaler Related Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobM
Hardware Support Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:34 am    Post subject: Offtopic forum Reply with quote

How about an offtopic forum?

I don't want to stimulate offtopic discussions but sometimes people want to tell or ask something that does not belong to any forum. It probably ends up here since 'No DScaler Related Posts' is in the forum title. Look at the last two threads in this forum for an example (about bsplayer and www.tv-cards.com).
dschmelzer
Support & Web

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very inclined to support an off-topic forum, but rather I think we should push people over to AVS Forum for anything off topic.

In the instance of Al's post, I'm somewhat conflicted, since his site is about TV cards. But I will probably take the line that it doesn't have anything to do with DScaler support and will probably lock and/or delete the thread, as I have done regarding bsplayer.
RobM
Hardware Support Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not very inclined to support an off-topic forum, but rather I think we should push people over to AVS Forum for anything off topic.

We chose to have our own forum instead of setting up a DScaler forum at AVS. The consequence is that we have to deal with offtopic posts. Noone will understand beforehand that an offtopic message should not be posted here but at avsforum (you can a note in a faq but people will not read it).

If you like it or not people will post offtopic here. In the current situation you will have to take action every time. Also the poster is probably not very happy with your approach.
With an offtopic forum you do not have to do anything, you do not have to support it (apart from deleting offensive posts and SPAM etc.).
If you are afraid an offtopic forum will give you too much trouble I am happy to volunteer as a moderator of that forum.

For some reason people want to post their offtopic messages here and not at the AVS forum. This is only getting worse. It's only a matter of time before the majority of DScaler users will not know what HTPC means, they probably do not understand why they are being sent to the AVS forum. With the current developments (especially tobbej with his dshow support and Jeroen with the skins and his other work) DScaler will reach a much and much broader audience. DScaler will work on many more cards and will be much simpler to use. I even think Al's post will be ontopic in a matter of time.
dschmelzer
Support & Web

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these are very good points. I have seen the off topic model work very well.

I guess my fear is that the forum will lose focus--straying into areas not directly related to DScaler support or even DScaler widely construed, ending up as a poor version of AVS Forum.

Let's hear what others have to say. In the meantime, I thought we had made it clear enough that off topic posts should go to AVS Forum, but it turns out we didn't. I invite revisions to the following page, which is any new user's entry into the forum.

http://www.dscaler.org/user_support.htm

Nobody seems to follow the request... "Please do not report bugs or support questions in these areas to the forum."
Al

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be fair to say that DScaler discussions get lost in the 'noise' of the AVS Forums. This messageboard could be expanded to become the hub for focused DScaler discussions. It could include forums on news, releases, feature requests, bug reports etc.

This works very effectively for other software projects, www.phpbb.com for example!

I think DScaler has outgrown the HTPC forum and this messageboard could be the ideal place to bring the DScaler community back together again.

What do you guys think?

Al
www.tv-cards.com
dschmelzer
Support & Web

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are trying an off-topic forum. Thanks for all the feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DScaler Forum Index -> Forum Discussion - No DScaler Related Posts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: